How is your health affected?
Periodontal disease can seriously affect your overall health, leading to tooth loss (which has been linked to a decrease in life expectancy), and possibly affecting such serious health conditions as diabetes, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s.
You run a higher risk of developing gum disease with these factors, conditions, and activities:
- Mouth breathing
- Medications that cause dry mouth
- Teeth grinding
- Crooked teeth
- Defective fillings and bridges
- Existing immunodeficiencies
- Some medical conditions (for example, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and rheumatoid arthritis)
- Poor nutrition
- Poor dental hygiene
- Hormonal changes (such as pregnancy).